Sunday, January 8, 2017

First Snow of 2017


Week two of blogging in 2017. I already feel like I'm running a bit short on ideas (no wonder I haven't blogged in a while!) but I'll push through and see where this takes me. Instead of considering Sunday the end of the week, I think I'll need to change my mindset and start seeing it as the beginning of the new week. With Monday as the beginning, it starts the week off on the wrong foot. Monday blues at work, etc. But if we start it on a Sunday, we have the opportunity to start it off right. Fun activities on Sunday? Day of rest to launch the new week and feel reenergized?

That's another thing I should probably adopt - an actual day of rest. Other than during vacations, the 2017 person, at least the 2017 New Yorker, rarely allows time for rest, thus running on empty week after week. And if I were to adopt a day of rest, what would that mean for me? Do I allow myself to cook? Watch TV? What do I consider restful? Is there a difference between fun and restful? Should I choose fun things that only require little energy?

What does a day of rest mean for you? What do you do on those days? Or perhaps more importantly, what do you NOT do on those days? 

We had our first real snow of the winter. Snow brings me joy, mostly because it allows for guilt-free laziness, but also for the physical affect it has on the world - peaceful and calming. Stores close, plans are canceled - you can sit at home and enjoy the snowfall, take walks, play, and feel at peace. Granted, having to work and function in the snow is a different story - I do not enjoy owning a car or having to get around in the snow when plans refuse to budge and work insists on staying open. (A heartfelt thanks to all of the workers that do not have a choice, namely hospitals and other necessity shops and operations. We appreciate all that you do!)

For the first snow I took a couple of photos. Believe it or not, it's difficult to take photos when it's actively snowing. Snow is wet, and cameras don't do well in water. These macro photos also would have been easier to take with a tripod... Next time. Either way, it was fun and I hope you enjoy these few.

snow (c) Lana Kitcher 2017

snow bush (c) Lana Kitcher 2017

broken hydrant (c) Lana Kitcher 2017

snow in the park (c) Lana Kitcher 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment